Practice Area and Credentials
Banking and Finance
Asia Counsel has substantial experience in the banking and finance sector. We regularly advise lenders and borrowers on all aspects of loan and financing documentation as well as in relation to securities and security arrangements
Our banking & finance practise has an in-depth knowledge and experience on facility agreements and term sheets, banking regulatory matters, as well as security documentation and registration of collateral.
Our team’s experience includes advising
- OCBC Bank on its acquisition of a 10%-interest in VP Bank.
- A European Bank on the proposed acquisition of a 50% interest in a Vietnamese consumer finance company.
- Insurance Australia Group on its 61% investment in AAA Assurance Corporation and its subsequent divestment.
- HD Bank on the sale of its 49% interest in HD Finance.
- Talanx (HDI) on its acquisition of PVI Insurance including obtaining exemption from tender offer from the State Securities Commission.
- A Japanese insurance company on the buy out of its Vietnamese joint venture partner.
- Bank of Scotland as agent and lead arranger on the financing of the acquisition of two international schools in Vietnam by a leading international education services provider.
- Citibank on its supervisory services agreement with fund managers.
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia on its acquisition of Vietnam International Bank and on structured products for commodities financing in Vietnam.
- Global Emerging Markets, a hedge fund, on the subscription / private placement agreements in relation 5 Vietnamese companies with an aggregate value exceeding USD100 million.
- Standard Chartered Bank on its USD90 million secured facility to AGPPS in Vietnam.
- The State Bank of Vietnam under a World Bank-administered ASEM Grant for Banking Sector Regulation, including drafting the new Decree on Commercial Banks in Vietnam.
- Vietnam Airlines on the ECA financing for the acquisition of five Airbus A321 aircraft.
- Natixis on a USD70 million secured multi-currency facility to a commodities trader in Vietnam and a USD90 million commodity financing facility in Vietnam, including security arrangements.
- KEXIM on the refinancing of a USD180 million facility for the construction of a BTO highway in Ho Chi Minh City, including preparing the Vietnamese security documentation.
- The syndicate and agent on the restructuring of a USD200 million facility for a port project in Ho Chi Minh City, including preparing the Vietnamese security documentation.
- The borrower under an ADB FAST facility, including on the Vietnamese equity mortgage.
- German Investment Corporation – on its financing of Vixumilk.
- Transamine on the USD20 million offtake facility with Masan Resources for the Nui Phao Mine.
- Square Aviation on the aircraft financing for VietjetAir Aviation.
- Australis Aquaculture Vietnam – on its offshore loan from OPIC.
- Harbinger in its investment and financing of the USD4 bn Ho Tram Casino Project.
- The lender on the Vietnam law aspects of the financing of a petrochemical project in Vietnam.
- The lender on the Vietnam law aspects of the secured financing of a cement manufacturing plant in Vietnam.
- The investor in the so-called German House in Ho Chi Minh City on the syndicated facility and security structure for the project. A truly unique PPP project in Vietnam, the German House includes the development by a private investor of a two tower Grade A development of office and consular premises in District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, in conjunction with the German and Vietnamese Governments.
- The developer on a convertible financing structure and security arrangements for a renewable energy project in Vietnam.
- CZ Slovakia, the developer of the 22,000 sqm Friendship Tower office project in Ho Chi Minh City, on the financing and security structure for the project.
- Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi on credit documentation for the operations of its Vietnam branch.
- The French Government on the financing structure and security options for the financing of the Annex of the French Institute in Ho Chi Minh City (“French House”).
- Bangkok Bank on a secured facility to Long Son Petrochemical plant in Vietnam (acting as Vietnam counsel).
- China Development Bank on the proposed financing of a two-tower residential project in Ho Chi Minh City (acting as Vietnam counsel).
- A Singaporean bank on a secured facility to a Vietnamese manufacturer (acting as Vietnam counsel).
- The European developer on the acquisition of a majority interest in a Vietnamese wind park developer with the development permit to develop a wind power project in Binh Thuan Province, Vietnam, including carrying out the project due diligence and assisting with the joint venture contract with the local partner.
- Marubeni as EPC contractor on the Thai Binh 2 and Nghi Son 1 power projects in Vietnam.
- Sojitz Corporation on its US$112 million EPS contract with Lilama Corporation for the supply of equipment to the Vung Ang 1 2 x 600MW coal fired thermal power plant in Vietnam.
- BP on the sale of its interest in PM3 BOT Power Company Limited and its interest in BP’s pipeline asset in Vietnam.
- China Investment Corporation on its acquisition of an interest in the Mong Duong 2 power plant in Vietnam.