Practice Area and Credentials
Commercial, Franchising and Employment
Asia Counsel’s excellent industry reputation, dedicated client services and embracing of new technologies and industries, has allowed it to carve out a niche within the commercial, franchising and employment sector, where it is relied on by multinationals, private equity funds, financial institutions and large cap Vietnamese companies alike.
We have an experienced and dedicated commercial team that advises a wide range of clients across various sectors, including manufacturing and large commercial projects. We advise our clients on all commercial, franchising and employment matters that arise during the course of a transaction, including contract drafting (distribution / agency agreements, services contracts, manufacturing agreements, and anything else you and your partners find agreement on), regulatory and compliance as well as foreign direct investment, investment licensing and business registrations.
In regards to labour and employment, we specialise in preparing employment contract templates and related documents, drafting and registering ILRs, advising on employment termination and other matters relating to foreign employees.
Our team’s experience includes advising
- BAA Training Vietnam Company Limited in establishing a pilot training centre in Vietnam and advising on the financing of Airbus flight simulators.
- Franchise West to East on the expansion of its Anytime Fitness master franchise to Vietnam and establishment of Vietnam subsidiary.
- Sentifi, winner of the Swiss start-up of the year, on its ESOP arrangements
- ELSA Now, an English language learning app, on corporate structuring
- LIXIBox, an online cosmetics retailer, on corporate structuring
- LogiVan, on its inversion under a Singapore holding company
- Techtronic Industries, a Hong Kong listed manufacturer of cordless power tools and home care products, on its USD650 million high-tech manufacturing plant and R&D facility in Vietnam on a 10-hectare land site located in Saigon Hi-Tech Park, including land acquisition, licensing and obtaining investment approvals (including Prime Ministerial approval).
- Techtronic Industries, on the temporary relocation of manufacturing capacity from China to Vietnam to 6 manufacturing facilities during construction of its new plant, including leasing ready-built factories, licensing matters and obtaining investment approvals, and related matters.
- A leading European manufacturer of industrial needles, on the establishment of a USD50 million manufacturing subsidiary in Vietnam on a 6-hectare land site, including land acquisition, licensing and obtaining investment approvals, architectural design and construction agreements for their plant and operational matters, and the subsequent capital increase and expansion of the manufacturing plant.
- Winga, a Hong Kong based garment manufacturer on the establishment of a 100% foreign-owned subsidiary in Vietnam and its USD30 million manufacturing plant in Vietnam, including land acquisition, licensing and obtaining investment approvals, architectural design and construction agreements for their plant and operational matters.
- Rieker, a leading European shoe manufacturer, on the establishment of its Vietnam manufacturing plant, now employing ~8,000 employees, including including land acquisition, licensing and obtaining investment approvals, architectural design and construction agreements for their plant and operational matters.
- A US based record storage services provider on the establishment of its 100% subsidiary and lease of a warehouse to be built by an industrial park developer, including licensing and obtaining investment approvals and warehouse lease negotiations.
- A leading Chinese online trading platform on the site selection for its proposed fulfilment and logistics centre in Vietnam, including advice on land and leasing regulations, construction regulations and investment procedures.
- Hoya Corporation, a Japanese manufacturer of precision glass, on its manufacturing plant located in Long Thanh Industrial Park II, including investment procedures and land sub-lease arrangements.
- Daiwa House on a factory for lease development project in Vietnam, including contract arrangements and commercial leases.
- Sojitz Corporation on its acquisition of an 88% stake in Long Duc Industrial Park, one of the largest industrial parks in South Vietnam.
- Amata, on the template lease agreements for the Dong Nai-based Amata Industrial Park near Ho Chi Minh City.
- Sumitomo Corporation, on its joint venture with a local Vietnamese industrial park developer, in the development of the Long Thanh Industrial Park II, located near Hanoi, including land acquisition, and land leasing, site clearance and the joint venture agreement.
- XL Entertainment on the establishment of the Vietnam Basketball Association.